The charming century-old Joglo, known as the Java Guest House, is built on two levels to create two self-independent, cosy-yet-spacious suites - each with its own entrance, a veranda or terrace, bathroom and integrated living and sleeping areas, offering a breathtaking vista that extends across rolling gardens, coconut palms, jungle, and the estate temple under the sacred banyan tree, all the way down to the river.
Lower floor (Java Studio)
Winding stone steps lead through tropical foliage to the enchanting, self-contained Java Studio, where colorful Dutch- colonial tile floors and carved antique doors and windows give an old-world cottage feeling to the 7x11m space. Inside are two netted beds - one king and one single - a galley-style kitchen, an outdoor bathroom and a large "floating" deck with dining table that provides an extra living area and offers fantastic river, temple and jungle views.
Amenities include: air conditioning, a king size bed, a single bed (both with mosquito nets and ceiling fans, several armoire for guests' storage, a sofa and coffee table facing folding glass doors that overlook the jungle, a dining table for four, an outdoor table for alfresco dining, kitchen with stove, fridge, all kitchen accessories and tableware, iPod dock, and complimentary Wi-Fi. Living room with TV with international TV channels and DVD player is located in the Java Suite upstairs.
Upper floor (Java Suite)
The Java Suite is located on the upper floor of the Java Guest House and can be accessed via thatched entry gate that leads to a private garden with a pretty fountain and the beautiful antique façade of the authentic Joglo-style building. Here, the richness of old burnished teak floors and walls recalls a bygone era of genteel living, complemented by traditional Javanese furnishings. The large and richly decorated living room with numerous antique gems and Balinese paintings opens onto a breezy wraparound veranda with a dining table, hammock and chairs with cocktail table.
Two queen size beds with reading lights and end tables are sequestered by teak partitions and canvas drapes with mosquito netting on opposite sides of the 10x11m interior (these two sleeping places are only semi-private, separated by three walls and a curtain). A separate semi-open air bathroom is surrounded by bamboo, orchids and carved stone walls, while skylights provide natural light. A dressing table, Chippendale-style desk and two armoires occupy either corner of the living room and in the centre is a wooden Indonesian-style day bed, a double size plantation chair and another armchair with an elegant coffee table placed in front of a flat screen TV and DVD player.
Amenities include: air conditioning and fan in each netted sleeping area, mini-fridge, HD TV with satellite TV channels and DVD player, iPod dock, sound system, safe, ceiling fans, complimentary Wi-Fi, alfresco dining table, hammock. Kitchen is located in the Java Studio downstairs.
Rates and Availability
2-bedroom accommodation (sleeps 7)
Two stories Java Guesthouse: Java studio - 7x11m, air conditioned through, one king size bed and one single bed, full kitchen, one outdoor bathroom w. shower, wooden deck, iPod dock, no TV AND Java suite - 10x11m, two queen size beds in two separate netted and air conditioned sleeping areas, one shared outdoor bathroom, one living area, veranda, TV/DVD, sound system. Access to the swimming pool is not guaranteed.
5 January - 30 June;
1 September - 23 December;
1 July - 31 August;
14 April - 21 April 2017 (Easter Week)
24 December - 4 January;
++ Rates are subject to 8% service charge and thereafter 10% government tax.
Book and check in before the and enjoy a 20% discount.
Simply complete the form and ask for the best available rates.
Rates inclusive of:
- Accommodation for four guests in the Java Suite with one shared bathroom, and three guests in the Java Studio on the lower floor. No extra persons allowed except for a toddler in a crib. Maximum occupancy of the whole Java Guesthouse is seven.
- All sleeping places are air-conditioned and with ceiling fans. Java Studio is air-conditioned throughout
- Welcome drinks, fruits and chilled towels
- Security gate with closed-circuit video
- Separate access from the parking area
- Shared estate staff: villa supervisor, maids, gardeners, engineering, pool cleaner, night time security
- Complimentary Wi-Fi Internet throughout the property
- Fully equipped kitchen with stove, fridge, juicer, all kitchen accessories needed for self-catering
- Access to the swimming pool is optional and cannot be guaranteed
- Spacious outdoor veranda on both levels suitable for yoga excercises
- iPod dock in Java Studio. Sound system with CD and iPod connection in Java Suite
- Flat screen TV with satellite channels and DVD player in Java Suite
- Complimentary drinking water and coffee and tea facilities
- Bathroom gels, amenities, towels and linen
- Daily housekeeping
- Complimentary cell phone for free local phone calls (one for Java Guest House)
- One baby cot and one baby high chair per villa (extra cribs and high chairs available on extra charge)
- Free daily shuttle service around Ubud in six-seater villa car, one time return per house per day (pick up and drop off)
- One time complimentary return airport transfer or hotel pick up or drop off (with a minimum seven nights stay, and only if reservation is made directly with us). Extra airport transfers are USD 35 each car (4 people and luggage, or 7 people without luggage).
Services available at extra cost:
- Laundry service
- In-house spa-trained masseuse
- Car with English-speaking driver for daily use is USD 55 for 8 hours, including petrol, around Ubud and neighboring areas (maximum Sanur, Seminyak, Canggu, Kintamani, Ubud, Bedugul, Candi Dasa, Padang Bai, Gianyar). USD 10 petrol surcharge for more distant drives to Nusa Dua, Tabanan, Singaraja, Lovina, Menjangan, Amed and more further within 8 hours time. Extra hours is USD 10 per hour including petrol.
- Old-school VW Safari convertible available for self-drive for USD 50++ / day, plus petrol
- Private yoga classes
- Guided trips, excursions and admission tickets
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner available by the menu with fixed prices (ordered in advance)
Rental conditions of the Java Guest House
The Java Guest House is a luxurious, two-storey, antique-style villa spacious enough for two families or a group of up to seven friends, with a kitchen independent of the Main House downstairs. However, breakfast, lunch or dinner will be prepared in the communal kitchen located in the staff area and delivered hot to guests' door.
Swimming pool access cannot be fully guaranteed for guests at the Java Guesthouse if the main Pelangi Villa is being rented as a four- or five- bedroom villa. If no guests are staying in the main house, the main swimming pool will be available as a shared facility for all guests of the Pelangi Estate. We recommend that you refer to our booking calendar or ask our reservation officer if you feel concerned about the swimming pool access.
Important to know:
Arrival time (check-in): 14:00.
Departure time (check-out): 12:00.
If there are no other guests checking in on the same day, villa guests can stay at the villa until 16:00 free of charge.
All events or parties should be approved in advance by the villa management and stipulated local village council fee will be applied. There is no street parking, but there is ample grassy parking area inside enough for up to 10 cars. Please read carefully our terms & conditions before you finally confirm your booking and make deposit payment.
Pelangi Estate is conveniently located just a fifteen-minute drive (or a 40-minute walk) from the centre of Ubud, Bali's cultural and arts hub, made famous as the setting for the popular book/movie, 'Eat, Pray, Love'. Located in a beautiful Balinese jungle setting overlooking a tranquil pristine river, palm trees and rice fields, it is an ideal location for wellness retreats, yoga, detoxing escapes and family holidays.
Adventures abound in the surrounding area including the Elephant Safari Park in Taro village, whitewater rafting, hiking, bird watching, inner-tubing on the river and trekking in the rice fields. World class restaurants, art galleries, spas, and shopping are all nearby, and surfing, scuba diving and snorkelling, fishing, motor boat rentals and other water sports are about one hour drive away in the Sanur and Candidasa areas.
It's also about an hour's drive to the UNESCO protected geopark, located in the crater of the active Mt Batur volcano, with its breathtaking vistas of the caldera from the crater rim, centuries old sacred temples, and geothermal baths in the 'Toya Devasya' resort area.